5th Dan in Karate and Kobudo, April 2018
1st Dan in Tuite, December 2012
Awarded by the Okinawa Shorin Ryu Matsumura Orthodox Karate and Kobudo Federation in Okinawa, Japan, under Grand Master Fusei Kise and Kaicho Isao Kise
Certifications through Athens Karate School
in Athens, Texas, under Hanshi John Shipes:
-Certified Instructor, Karate, 2012
-Certified Instructor, Kobudo, 2012
-Certified Instructor, Tuite, 2012
Instructor in Shorin Ryu karate and Okinawan weapons (kobudo) in Dallas, Bedford, Irving, Terrell and San Angelo since 2006.
Instructor at Tengan Dojo on U.S. Marine Corps Camp Courtney, Okinawa, Japan, 2004-2005.
Previous Martial Arts Training:
- Songahm Tae Kwon Do,
Master G.K. Lee and Kathy Lee
- Kung Fu, Mr. Bud Roberts
- Began martial arts training in 1993
Fitness Credentials / Experience:
- ACE-certified Personal Trainer
- ACE-certified Group Fitness Instructor
- CPR/AED Certified through Red Cross
- PiYo Live instructor (July 2018)
- Former NETA-certified instructor in aerobic exercise
-Former Zumba / Zumba Gold instructor (license inactive)
-Physical Therapy Technician (2016) at Rehab Management Physical Therapy, Quinlan and Terrell, Texas
-Received training in body mechanics, from Tamilee Webb, Susan Cooper (BodyBusiness, Austin, Texas) and others through seminars and workshops hosted by ACE, NETA (formerly the National Dance-Exercise Instructor Training Association) and the Exercise Safety Association (ESA)
3rd Dan in Karate and Kobudo, April 2018
3rd Kyu in Tuite, August 2015
Certified Instructor, Karate, October 2015
Awarded by Sensei Lisa Sudbury, Hanshi John Shipes, and the Okinawa Shorin Ryu Matsumura Orthodox Karate and Kobudo Federation, Okinawa, Japan, under Grand Master Fusei Kise and Kaicho Isao Kise
Chief Instructor at Kaizen Terrell since 2017.
Assisted Sensei Sudbury with children and adult classes at North Texas Kenshin Kan from 2013 - 2017.
Instructor in Shorin Ryu karate and Okinawan weapons (kobudo) in San Antonio for 5+ years.
Previous Martial Arts Training:
- 2nd Dan, Matsubayashi Ryu Shorin Ryu Karate and Kobudo, under Sensei Michael Helton, 5thDan, awarded July 9, 1998. Active in studying/teaching for Sensei Helton until company move to Texas A&M University in August, 2001.
- Sho Dan, Matsubayashi Ryu Shorin Ryu Karate and Kobudo, February 15, 1997
- Taught classes at neighborhood community center from 1995 until mid 1996 when Basse Road dojo opened.
- Active martial arts training for approximately 11 years, including limited experience in Tae Kwon Do, Isshin Ryu Karate, and Korean Kempo.
I began studying Matsumura Seito Shorin Ryu and Okinawan weapons under Hanshi-sei Fusei Kise (10th Dan) at Gunners Gym, Marine Corps Camp S.D. Butler in 2002 and at the hombu dojo with Kaicho Isao Kise (9th Dan) the following year.
Hanshi John Shipes of Athens Karate School in Athens, Texas, is my U.S. teacher and is one of four U.S. directors of the Okinawa Shorin Ryu Matsumura Seito Karate and Kobudo Federation. Hanshi Shipes is 8th Dan in Karate and Kobudo and 6th Dan in Tuite. His rank is awarded by the Okinawa Shorin Ryu Matsumura Orthodox Karate and Kobudo Federation, Okinawa, Japan.
It is an honor and privilege to call these three gentlemen my teachers. In addition to the technical aspects of training, I have learned much about karatedo and about “strength with gentleness” (a loose translation of the banner that graces the front of the hombu dojo in Okinawa - and our dojo in Terrell) from these men and look forward to continuing this journey under their leadership.